The Dead Sea salt, a blend of minerals from the Middle East, is already famous worldwide, and it´s really fantastic for your beauty rituals. But maybe you don´t know this other miraculous mineral yet: Epsom salt. Have you heard of it?
Epsom salt is known for relieving many types of pain and soreness. Arthritis, fibromyalgia and even psoriasis are conditions that can be relieved with this mineral.
But what is Epsom salt exactly?
Epsom salt is actually magnesium sulfate, a pure mineral compound with dozens of uses in beauty, health and even gardening. Magnesium is known for regulating the activity of over 325 enzymes, helping muscle and nerve function, reducing inflammation, and helping prevent artery hardening. Sulfates help improve the absorption of nutrients, flush toxins, and ease migraine headaches.
Which are the main benefits of Epsom salt?
- Relieves pain and sore muscles (like after working out), bronchial asthma, and migraine headaches. Westlab has a great one and we have it in our shop, click here.
- Heals cuts and reduces soreness from childbirth;
- Eases skin inflammations (like psoriasis), red and itchy skin. A great product for that is this one bath soak by Eco Bath, here.
- Reduces joints stiffness, muscles, ligaments pain that are common in conditions like fibromyalgia;
- Neutralizes foot odor;
- Eases stress and relaxes the body, as magnesium helps produce serotonin and increases energy and stamina by encouraging the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate);
- Improve sleep and concentration;
- Help muscles and nerves to function properly, as it regulates electrolytes in our body, ensuring proper functioning of the muscles, nerves, and enzymes. Magnesium is also known to be critical in the proper use of calcium, which serves as a main conductor of the electric impulses in our body.
- Improve heart health and help prevent heart disease and strokes by improving blood circulation, protecting the elasticity of arteries, preventing blood clots, and reducing the risk of sudden heart attack deaths.
How to use Epsom salt for health benefits?
Athlete’s foot: Soak feet in an Epsom salt bath to help relieve the symptoms of athlete’s foot.
Remove splinters: Soak affected skin area in an Epsom salt bath to draw out the splinter.
Treat toenail fungus: Soak your affected toes in hot water mixed with a handful of Epsom salt three times a day.
Soothe sprains and bruises: Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to a warm bath and soak to reduce the pain and swelling of sprains and bruises.
Ease discomfort of gout: Ease the discomfort of gout and reduce inflammation by adding 2–3 teaspoons of Epsom salts into a basin and immersing the affected foot/joint. The water should be as hot as it is comfortable. Soak for about 30 minutes.
How to use Epsom salt for your beauty?
Exfoliate dead skin: In the shower or bath, mix a handful of Epsom salt with a tablespoon of bath or olive oil and rub all over your wet skin to exfoliate and soften. Rinse thoroughly.
Exfoliating face cleanser: To clean your face and exfoliate skin at the same time, mix a half-teaspoon of Epsom salt with your regular cleansing cream. Gently massage into skin and rinse with cold water.
Dislodge blackheads: Add a teaspoon of Epsom salt and 3 drops of iodine into a half cup of boiling water. Apply this mixture to the blackheads with a cotton ball.
Remove foot odor: Mix a half cup of Epsom salt in warm water and soak your feet for 10 minutes to remove bad odor, sooth achy feet, and soften rough skin.
Hair volumizer: Magnesium sulfate soaks up the excess oil from hair. So combine equal parts deep conditioner and Epsom salt and warm in a pan. Work the warm mixture through your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
Where do I get high-quality Epsom Salt?
On my Personal Care collection you have excellent brands with the finest salt. You find them here.